[Mimedefang] TESTVIRUS.org - test question

Andrea Gabellini agabellini at intelcom.sm
Sat Feb 28 08:56:45 EST 2004

At 09.04 28/02/2004, you wrote:
>I came across testvirus.org yesterday (a simple way to email yourself
>various ways of encoding EICAR) and was fairly happy with the result.

I'm using sophos and it didn't catch the binhex encoded virus.

I'm also interested in solving the 'space gap' with MD, if possible

>Of the 17 tests, 3 failed with MD+CLAMAV+F-PROT.  Neither CLAMAV nor F-PROT
>detected the BinHex encoded copies of EICAR, though the scanners further
>down the line did.  Fairly impressively MD did catch the "Outlook CR
>vulnerability", but nothing (not MD, not any of the later scanners) caught
>the "Outlook space gap vulnerability" test.  Fortunately at that point
>Outlook blocked the attachment :)
>
>I'm already discussing the BinHex problem on the CLAMAV list, but was
>wondering if anybody knew of a way to solve the "space gap" problem with
>MimeDefang.
>
>TIA
>
>--
>  Rob MacGregor (BOFH) [PGP key ID 0x1E51BF5A]
>         If I cannot bend Heaven, I shall move Hell.
>                            -- Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil).

---------------------------------------
Computers are machines to help you solve problems you wouldn't have if you
didn't have a computer.
Ing. Andrea Gabellini
Email: agabellini at intelcom.sm
Tel: 0549 886111 (Italy)