[Mimedefang] TESTVIRUS.org - test question

Rob rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 03:04:45 EST 2004

I came across testvirus.org yesterday (a simple way to email yourself
various ways of encoding EICAR) and was fairly happy with the result.

Of the 17 tests, 3 failed with MD+CLAMAV+F-PROT.  Neither CLAMAV nor F-PROT
detected the BinHex encoded copies of EICAR, though the scanners further
down the line did.  Fairly impressively MD did catch the "Outlook CR
vulnerability", but nothing (not MD, not any of the later scanners) caught
the "Outlook space gap vulnerability" test.  Fortunately at that point
Outlook blocked the attachment :)

I'm already discussing the BinHex problem on the CLAMAV list, but was
wondering if anybody knew of a way to solve the "space gap" problem with
MimeDefang.

TIA

--
 Rob MacGregor (BOFH) [PGP key ID 0x1E51BF5A]
        If I cannot bend Heaven, I shall move Hell.