[Mimedefang] [OT] SBL

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:46:14 EST 2004

I realize this is a bit OT, but I've seen SBL recommended here before,
and I'm not sure where else to ask...

I'm trying to reconfigure our mail server to start blocking spam instead
of tagging it with SpamAssassin and trusting our users to set up their
own filters based on SpamAssassin.  Blocking messages based on the SBL
seemed like a good first step.  In the week or so since I've started
using the SBL, it's caught about half of the incoming mail to our
campus, but it's also caused 4-5 false positives (a spammer's company
that happens to put out a good newsletter, legitimate mailing lists
hosted by spammers, a legitimate company that uses a spam-friendly ISP
as their hosting provider).  This surprised me, since I was under the
impression that the SBL was probably the most trusted and most
conservative of the blacklists.

Should I give up on blocking via the SBL?  Or should I just accept that
if I'm going to block mail, I'm going to block a few legitimate ones by
mistake?  I know that others on this list use the SBL - have you had any
similar problems?

Thanks.

Josh Kelley