[Mimedefang] A Bit of Confusion - Solved but different problemwith CLAMD

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 23 06:06:08 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Dilkie" <lee at dilkie.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 3:49 AM
Subject: RE: [Mimedefang] A Bit of Confusion - Solved but different
problemwith CLAMD

First off, let me apologise to Rob. That email was never supposed to go to
you directly, but Outlook Express stupidity sent it to mimedefang-request
instead of mimedefang and I guess it got bounced to you.

> check clamav.conf.
>
> the location of the pid file must be writable by the defang user as clamd
is
> running as dfang.
>
> also inclamav.conf.
>
> LocalSocket probably needs to be changed to point to where MD is
expecting.

> Or you can leave it where it is and modify your mimedefnag-filter and
stick

> $ClamdSock  = "/var/run/clamav/clamd"; (this is the default place for
clamd
> on freebsd).
>
> in the top of mimedefang-filter. This will override the default in
> mimedefang.pl
>
> hope this helps.
>
> -lee

Thanks for your tips Rob and Lee.

As it turns out, I had everything right as far as the clamav.sock and
clamav.pid files go, but even though I had set this correctly in
mimedefang.pl.conf, mimedefang.pl actually has a hard coded entry that
overrides this and tries to access clamd.sock in
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/clamd.sock.

This is what was causing the grief and after changing this to
/var/run/clamd.sock it now works like a bought one!

The only hassle I have now is that spam gets sent to my maildrop mailbox,
but it also still goes to the original recipient as well.

I know this is a problem in my filter, but any tips as to where?

All I have done is add the example given on the FAQ edited to reflect the
correct maildrop to the existing filter_end part of mime-defang filter.

Thanks again,

Pete