[Mimedefang] memory leak?

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu Feb 12 16:03:19 EST 2004

> Yesterday 50K.  (grep 'stat=Sent' /var/log/syslog.01 | wc).  More actually
> come in, of course..

I would need a total volume to comment.

> I haven't limited my sendmail processes.  At the time this happened, I had
> min slaves set to 15, and max slaves set to 50.

You have to limit your sendmail process.  Figure that otherwise a DoS could
take down your box.  200 simulataneous connections is fairly easy to do.

> So you would do define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN',`100'), or somesuch?  And
> what happens if someone hammers us?

I would do:

  define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `60')dnl

and change that based on your actual volume.  If you need more children, you
need more memory.  I generally like to have 40MB per sendmail process
available which for 60 connections is about 2.4GB.  Between, mimedefang and
sendmail and spamd and mysql and procmail, etc. you can have a lot of
programs working in concert to support 1 sendmail connection.

This *is* elitist but memory is cheaper than my hourly rates.

Regards,
KAM