[Mimedefang] New way of obfuscating text

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Tue Feb 10 15:10:02 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote:
>> From: Michael Sims [mailto:michaels at crye-leike.com]
>> Personally I think that's a great idea.  I've seen these a lot
>> lately too and I think I'm going to put something like this into
>> place as well.  But how about making the pattern simply:
>>
>> /font-size:\s*1;/i
>>
> <rant>
> This is a bug in Internet Explorer, in my opinion.
> Although <font size="1"> would be expected to be small, <font
> style="font-size: 1"> is meaningless because there is no unit on the
> 1.  Is it 1px? 1em? 1ex?  I believe the CSS spec says that any size
> with no unit must be ignored by conforming browsers (though I'm
> relying on memory here.) 0 is an exception - it can be unit-less
> since 0px = 0em = 0whatever </rant>

Oops, I didn't even notice that it didn't have the unit.  I guess the
pattern would be better like this:

/font-size:\s*1\s*(?:px)?\s*;/i

I'm not enough of a CSS expert to know what would happen if I threw "em" and
"ex" in there, but I'm afraid that might create some false positives...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722