[Mimedefang] New way of obfuscating text

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Tue Feb 10 13:58:11 EST 2004

I've just noticed this in the past couple of days - it seems that spammers
have come up with a new way of obfuscating text.  They give it a font size
so small that graphical-based email clients basically don't show it.  I
noticed reading in Pine that the old "As seen on Oprah..." spams were
showing up again, but the line would look something like, "Ass sesen on
NsBsC...".  Then I got one on an account I use Eudora with, and the text
looked like what I thought I had blocked.  Well, the text that I see in
Pine is actually in Eudora also, but they will obfuscate a letter by doing
this:

which makes that "s" basically invisible.  Can anyone think of a valid
reason for setting a font size of 1?  I am thinking of a SA rule like:

rawbody UAH_SMALL_FONT /<font\s+style=\"font-size:\s+1;/i
describe UAH_SMALL_FONT Unreadable font size
score UAH_SMALL_FONT 8.0

   I don't generally like assigning such large scores to a single rule,
but these spams otherwise score very low.  Thoughts?  TIA...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville