[Mimedefang] memory leak?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Feb 9 15:35:39 EST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Ron Peterson wrote:

> This system has 6GB RAM.  On boot, after everything gets going, the system
> consumes just under 1GB.  Over time, this useage is slowly creeping
> up.

Which process is growing?  (Use "ps" to find the process with the large
VSZ entry.)

When you say the usage is creeping up, how do you know?  Linux, by default,
will use up all free memory for buffer cache purposes.  It is normal
for a Linux system to show practically 100% memory usage after it has been
running for a while.

MIMEDefang is supposed to be highly resistant to memory leaks, but it's not
impossible that there are some.

> We are processing about 32,000 emails per day.

That's pretty low; we have customers doing 500K+ per day without seeing
this behaviour.

Are you using a virus scanner?  Could that be the problem?

> About to execute command 'recipok ...

It means a slave is starting up.