[Mimedefang] memory leak?

Ron Peterson rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Feb 9 14:20:00 EST 2004

System:

Dell 2650
Debian Stable
Perl 5.6.1-8.6
MIMEDefang 2.39
Sendmail 8.12.3-6.6
Spamassassin 2.60

This system has 6GB RAM.  On boot, after everything gets going, the system
consumes just under 1GB.  Over time, this useage is slowly creeping
up.  After a couple of days, it starts swapping, performance plummets, and
it needs a reboot.

I'm suspecting a memory leak related to our recent installation of
MIMEDefang + Spamassassin.  I say this, because prior to this, we didn't
have this problem.

We are processing about 32,000 emails per day.  Possibly pertinent
mimedefang settings:

MX_RECIPIENT_CHECK=yes
MX_MINIMUM=15
MX_MAXIMUM=40
MX_STATS=yes
MX_REQUESTS=200

I have mounted my spooldir on a 500MB tmpfs (rather largish, I
think.  What do people recommend sizewise?)

I am currently running mimedefang compiled using --disable-embedded-perl,
to see if that helps.  I have to wait a while now to see if the
memory useage trendline flattens out.

Does anyone have any suggestions about things I could try, or things I
could do to help pin this problem down?

On a (probably) unrelated note: what do lines like this mean in the stats
file?

About to execute command 'recipok ...

Each time this happens, a new slave is started, even if the number of
busy/free slaves doesn't seem to require it.