[Mimedefang] Looking for more ramdisk benefits

Brenden Conte conteb at rpi.edu
Fri Feb 6 09:42:12 EST 2004

The only benifits you will really see from using a ramdisk are for
things that involve many read/writes.  Files that are only read (even if
every time) will be cached by the OS (lack of memory and large files
aside, in which case a ramdisk is a bad idea anyway), making the ramdisk
unnessesary.  Things like the MIMEDefang directory are perfect, because

a) The files are created, read, written, and deleted quickly and often,
and
b) In the event of a system failure, the data in that directory is
non-critical.

The only other directory we've ramdisk'ed is our AV temp directory,
where attachments are written (or extracted) to be scanned, then
deleted.  Everything else is either critical information (i.e. the
sendmail mqueue) or read-once.

-Brenden

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 08:54, Peter Campion-Bye wrote:
> I moved /var/spool/MIMEDefang to a ramdisk and got a 20% improvement in
> scan time (It's a slow old disk in the box)
> Before I spend ages experimenting, has anybody found any worthwhile
> improvement by moving other stuff to ramdisk, the SA rules for example, (I
> expect these are just read once and cached) How about the clamav db?
> Is there anything that's read into memory off the disk on every message?
> Thanks
>
> mimedefang 2.39  sendmail 8.12.9   clamav 0.65  spamassassin 2.63

Brenden Conte
System Programmer, C&CT
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
(518)276-2540