[Mimedefang] Looking for more ramdisk benefits

Juergen Georgi georgi at belwue.de
Fri Feb 6 09:42:41 EST 2004

On Fri 2004-02-06 (13:54), Peter Campion-Bye wrote:

> I moved /var/spool/MIMEDefang to a ramdisk and got a 20% improvement in
> scan time (It's a slow old disk in the box)
> Before I spend ages experimenting, has anybody found any worthwhile
> improvement by moving other stuff to ramdisk, the SA rules for example, (I
> expect these are just read once and cached) How about the clamav db?
> Is there anything that's read into memory off the disk on every message?
> Thanks
>
> mimedefang 2.39  sendmail 8.12.9   clamav 0.65  spamassassin 2.63

Bayes db lookups hit the disk on every message. I'm thinking about
moving bayes_path entirely to a tmpfs. Of course there must be
a mechanism to save the precious bayes data across reboots - maybe
with one or two snapshot backups per day to persistant storage.

Has anyone done this before?

Regards,

-Juergen