[Mimedefang] Looking for more ramdisk benefits

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Fri Feb 6 10:09:26 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgrail at pccc.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Looking for more ramdisk benefits

> > Bayes db lookups hit the disk on every message. I'm thinking about
> > moving bayes_path entirely to a tmpfs. [...]
> > Has anyone done this before?
>
> I've always wondered if the kernel disk caching method (linux) is
efficient
> enough to bypass the need to use a ram disk for a static (esque) file such
> as this?
>
> Any comments?

Disk caching is primarily for disk reads, and the Bayes database has a
pretty fair number of writes as well.  I saw disk I/O drop *tremendously*
when I moved the Bayes database to a ramdisk ... but I also have a large
Bayes database (90MB now that they've fixed expires, 200+MB before!).

Chris Myers
Networks By Design