[Mimedefang] mangling notifications

John Gunkel jgunkel at palliser.ca
Mon Feb 2 11:05:37 EST 2004

Hello all.

We are running a GroupWise system front-ended by two MIMEDefang boxes.
We are also still running Guineveire (attachment and virus blocking for
GroupWise) from the pre MIMEDefang days.

I was running into a problem where Guin was generating a second "hit" on
MIMEDefang notifications, and an occasional problem where GroupWise
would attempt to interpret the headers in the notification body. (Yeah,
I know... not MIMEDefang's fault.)

So, to counter this behaviour, I created a patch to "quote" the headers
that were being sent in the notifications and added it to my RPM spec
file. It changes all of two lines, but seems to work well. Here it is if
anyone else finds it useful. It has applied cleanly on every version
David released since I made it, only occasionally complaining that it
was at the wrong line number.

Interestingly, this setup (Guinevere behind MIMEDefang) has also caught
the MyDoom and other viri that have snuck through MIMEDefang due to bad
MIME constructs. (Of course making reference to the whole "Viruses
getting in via undeliverables" thread)

On a side note, any other GroupWise people out there? Is MIMEDefang
meeting your needs for outbound scanning as well?

Cheers!

~~
John Gunkel, RHCE
Webmaster/System Administrator