[Mimedefang] Lycos Screensaver that attacks Spammers

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Dec 2 16:16:04 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> > If we are to claim moral superiority to spammers, we can't sink to
> > their level.  IMO, the Lycos tactic is unethical.  Vigilanteism
> > is never the right answer.

> While most of your arguments make sense, the last sentence is questionable.
> Vigilanteism is no more or less moral than having representatives apply a
> policy democratically.

We differ on that, I guess.  I believe in the rule of law, and vigilanteism
weakens the rule of law.

> It's only a problem if the vigilante is unqualified to objectively
> identify the criminal and apply the policy.

Not true.  It is wrong for even a supremely qualified person like a
policeman or a judge to punish a criminal without doing it through the
justice system.

> If Lycos is unqualified, then who is?

Microsoft?  Hotmail's certainly way larger than Lycos.  Hands up everyone
who thinks Microsoft should embark on vigilante action...

> (Every one of us is a vigilante when we run MD, protecting our users
> without the aid of organized law enforcement.)

No.  When you run MD, you're not attempting to interfere with systems
you don't control (unless you have a very peculiar filter!)