[Mimedefang] Lycos Screensaver that attacks Spammers

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Dec 2 16:30:48 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/02/2004 04:00:54
PM:

> While most of your arguments make sense, the last sentence is
questionable.
> Vigilanteism is no more or less moral than having representatives apply
> policy democratically. It's only a problem if the vigilante is
unqualified
> to objectively identify the criminal and apply the policy. If Lycos is
> unqualified, then who is? (Note that those running the screensaver are
just
> its agents, like deputies.)

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Guess who gets eaten.

> The problem is not the "who", just the "how".
>
> (Every one of us is a vigilante when we run MD, protecting our users
> without the aid of organized law enforcement.)

No, we're not vigilantes when we filter spam. We're security guards only
patrolling our property and not leaving the premises.  Returning a failure
code is like locking the door a putting up a closed sign.  Now if we go
out in the streets and beat up some one that tries to break in, then we
are vigilantes.  Sending traffic to a server not on our network is being a
vigilante.