[Mimedefang] mimedefang -> tcp/ip -> clamav

Stephen J Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Fri Aug 27 10:09:59 EDT 2004

Muhammad Talha wrote:
>>>Is there a possibility to run clamd over a tcp socket.
>>
>>Even if there is, it still needs file system access to the
>>/var/spool/MIMEDefang directory, so it has to run on the local host.
>

> What if  we mount /var/spool/MIMEdefang on remote machine through NFS

I think (but am probably wrong, the socket file has to be on the machine
that you are running clamav and mimedefang on. It cant just be mounted
via NFS. However even if I am wrong, you would find your slowdown even
worse... as you are now dealing with multiple network bottlenecks.

As it is, /var/spool/MIMEdefang should be on the FASTEST available
'drive', be it a memory drive, a hardware memory drive, or worse case
the only drive on a dedicated SCSI bus in the fastest PCI slot you got.
/var/spool/mqueue/xf/ should also be in a similar state.

Take some time and try to analyze the box a bit. What is using the most
memory. what is using the most interrupts on the bus, what is using the
most CPU, etc. Move that to dedicated hardware where possible. Spread
your mqueus over multiple hard-drives and disk buses.

My bet is that the problem is the DCC-server/spamassassin. If you have
multiple machines that you can do this with.. spread the load with
multiple Mailrelays acting as your MX record or worse yet, set up one
box that just does clamav and who sends all its email to the box that
does spamassassin/DCC.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 | PH: 4-0645