[Mimedefang] Sendmail, MIMEDefang and ClamAV

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 26 16:35:20 EDT 2004

Am Do, den 26.08.2004 schrieb Johann um 21:46:

>  > Also, a related question -- what's the best way of getting the clamd
>  > and clamav-milter daemons launched at start time?
>  >

> In the contib/init/RedHat directory of your ClamAV source, there is an
> init file named clamd. Copy it to /etc/init.d. then symlink it into
> /etc/rc.d/rc3 (rc5 if you start up in graphical mode) as S(some number
> lower than Sendmail's)clamd - ie: S75clamd

Redhat/Fedora has the chkconfig tool for this. Better than to create
runlevel links by hand your own.

> I agree that it should be started before either Sendmail or MIMEDefang,
> though I can not tell you why. Must be BOFH intuition.

Nothing mystic. The milter sockets have to be created before Sendmail
starts, so that the Sendmail daemon can communicate with the milter
applications through them. Whether you start MimeDefang or clamav-milter
first does not matter, as long as the sockets are there when Sendmail
wants to access them.

> -Johann

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 22:31:33 up 6 days, 18:14, load average: 1.63, 1.72, 1.51