[Mimedefang] Question about Virus Scanners

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Fri Aug 13 10:26:39 EDT 2004

> Do you catch virii with McAfee, that slipped through the other scanners?

I haven't honestly worried about resources or switching things around.  I've
worried about it more from a liability standpoint.  Telling someone you
provide the standard leading anti-viral protection for email means using
McAfee or Symantec at least in the USA.

Going the extra mile and using Archive::Zip and the scanning routines in my
favorite program and yours, MIMEDefang, is just icing on the cake.

I'm fairly certain though that ClamAV would be as accurate or more so
without actually switching the processing.  The #1 line of defense lately
has really been scanning zips though.

Regards,
KAM