[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records *long w/morbid horoscop e*

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Tue Aug 10 08:51:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:44:43 -0500
"Damrose, Mark" <mdamrose at elgin.edu> wrote:

> Exchange 5.5 is a tough nut.  That's what I have.
>
> Under the default lookup, you can only search on a primary e-mail
> address.  All of my users have @elgin.edu addresses, but many of
> them also have @elgin.cc.il.us addresses from before 2 year colleges
> were allowed back in .edu.  You can use ldap to search on an
> @elgin.edu address, but you can't use it to search for @elgin.cc.il.us.
>
> I understand that it is possible to determine a schema that could
> be used to search secondary e-mail addresses, but even so there are
> a lot of e-mail addresses which can't be searched via ldap.  Essentially
> if it isn't visible to the internal directory, it isn't visible via
> ldap either.
>
> I have also not been able to find any decent way to export all the
> deliverable addresses - such that they could be massaged into access
> format in an automated way.
>
> I've asked this question is several fora whenever the group consensus
> that there is never any reason why an external MX can't know all
> valid e-mail becomes noisy.  I'll ask again here.  If anyone has a
> solution - which doesn't involve changing my internal e-mail system -
> I'd absolutely love to hear it.

Hi Mark,

We have a 3000 odd user customer running Exchange 5.5 which we are in the process of planning a migration to 2003 for, but it's unlikely this will happen before the 1st October "deadline" for SPF.

Fortunately, there is only one domain that they utilise.

In our office at work, we have Exchange 2000 and some users have a second, non-visible email address, which will cause this same issue.

Of course, I'm planning on implementing a mail relay in the not too distant future incorporating MIMEDefang/Spamassassin/ClamAV, which means I'll probably have to provide it a list of valid users.

In Exchange 5.5, probably the easiest way would be to export your Directory Store as a csv file. In Exchange Administrator, go to Tools then Directory Export. You can select all items including mailboxes, custom recipients, and distribution groups. You can also select hidden items.

Getting the CSV file into a useable list for MD/sendmail will be a different story, but at least you can get the info out of Exchange.

In Exchange 2000, you can use ldifde to export AD attributes, which should be able to include additional email addresses. At least I hope this is the case!

Anyway, hope that's of some help to you, and sorry to the list for going into Exchange a little bit.

Pete