[Mimedefang] Poll: Time to drop Trophie support?

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Thu Apr 29 10:28:18 EDT 2004

Jerome Tytgat wrote:

> One point I prefer Sophie/Sophos vs Clamav is because I can
> get a newsletter from Sophos indicating new release of IDE
> (viral signatures).
>
> I've set up a procmail catch up which download new IDE as they
> are released.
>
> So I think I'm more uptodate with Sophie/Sophos than with Clamav.

ClamAV offers an email list of virus signature updates as well:

It's been my experience that ClamAV updates their signatures VERY fast;
much faster than McAfee (the only other antivirus program that I have
much experience with).  Bugtraq indicates that they've been faster than
Sophos too:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/353379/2004-02-07/2004-02-13/0

I'd recommend that you give ClamAV a try; as others on the list have
pointed out, you can set up MIMEDefang to use both virus scanners for a
while, so you can test out ClamAV and make sure that it isn't letting
anything through to Sophie.

Josh Kelley