[Mimedefang] Mimedefang and Mcafee

Vivek Kumar vivekk at gorave.net
Thu Apr 22 11:48:23 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I installed and configured the mimedefang and mcafee anti-virus software
as per Kevin's script on his website. Now when i start mimedefang
service and sendmail service I don't see uvscan running and I think this
is because uvscan doesn't run in daemon mode. My question is how
mimedefang knows that the incoming or outgoing mail is infected and
calls uvscan to detect the virus and clean it or remove it or stop the
mail and send the notification to the administrator or create some kind
of log file.
I have been using vexira A/V on my other system and the way it works is
all the mails are first received by vexira A/V ( which run is daemon
mode) and if its a infected mail it rejects it send it to a rejected
folder otherwise the mail passes to mimedefand and checked for spam and
then sendmail delivers the mail.
I am not sure how mimedefanf with spamassassin and uvscan works.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

V Kumar