[Mimedefang] Real Relay Checking Quirks

Guido mimedefang.at.lists.roaringpenguin.com at starbase12.cjb.net
Thu Apr 22 08:46:26 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've recently started wondering about a few things and I'm sure there will be
a more then logical explantion which isn't hitting me right now. :)

A while ago I've implemented real relay checking into my milter, using the
notes on slides 87-90 of the USENIX's LISA '03 conference, as downloadable at
the MIMEDefang website.

Because we are talking about finding out the 'real' relay it seemed more
logical to me to store the IP we find in the variable $RealRelayAddr instead
of $RelayAddr as written in the notes.

Turned out to be a bad move since the function synthesize_received_header
started messing up, so I quickly changed it back and told myself to get used
to the, for my feelings, strange naming. (On the other hand, there is
something to be said to call the server who is handing you the email the real
server... so I guess it's a personal taste).

However, now I have a new problem.... now send_quarantine_notifications is
acting up in the same way. To be precise, it's now this function's turn to
show me incorrect hostname and address pairs.

So what I'm wondering is: Am I supposed to be adding code for setting
RelayHostname to the correct value as well (which I've done now), or should
in the function send_quarantine_notifications (or for that matter the
function synthesize_received_header) the variable names be fixed? :)

For the rest the code works well and happily allows me to use RBL checks on
mails relayed to me by one of my ISPs. :P

Thanks,
Kind regards,

Guido

--
When all else fails, read the instructions.