[Mimedefang] Re: Getting MIMEDefang to Work

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 21:51:32 EST 2004

> That's somewhat helpful.  I'll start looking at seeing if Milter is working.
>    === Al

If anyone cares, I finally was able to get back to working on this
problem.  I don't know yet if I have MIMEDefang working yet, but
milter was indeed not working.

In my searches around the web, I found one command that's handy for
figuring out if milter is installed.  It's actually chock full of
information.  Pretty cool.
   sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null

It wasn't.  Whenever I install sendmail ala "roll your own", on a
machine, especially a test machine, I keep the source I installed from
around, keeping it in my home directory.

So I'd go to
   cd $SENDMAIL_SRC/sendmail
and then
   ./Build clean

I'd then do the rebuild after adding the required entry for milter to
be added in,
   $SENDMAIL_SRC/devtools/Site/site.config.m4

For some reason, make clean (or ./Build clean) in the sendmail
directory isn't enough.

To get it to work, I had to extract fresh source from the tar file,
and re-configure and rebuild.

Maybe there's a better parameter in the Makefile than "clean" but I
didn't find it.  I think this is a bug, but maybe Sendmail INC thinks
it's a feature.

Time to check the logs now to see if MIMEDefang is working.
   === Al