[Mimedefang] Re: calling action_bounce() for viruses

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Sep 30 13:23:00 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 7:49 AM -0500 Michael Sims
<michaels at crye-leike.com> wrote:

> Of course, I know this sort of thing is not nearly as prevalent as mail
> relays that unconditionally accept all mail addressed for the domain they
> handle, but it still happens from time to time...

Which reminds me that one of my company gateways at another site is set up
strictly as a spam scanner (postfix + SpamAssassin) and has no knowledge of
the users on the "real" server (Exchange) set up behind it. The resulting
bounces then pop out of the local site's Exchange server and hit my own
sendmail + MD gateway to get to the outside world. So I end up seeing a lot of
double-bounces. What's an admin to do?

BTW, does anybody have any cookbook approaches to accessing Exchange's user DB
to validate addresses on a front-end sendmail system?