[Mimedefang] Re: calling action_bounce() for viruses

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Fri Sep 26 01:20:07 EDT 2003

* James Ralston <qralston+ml.mimedefang at andrew.cmu.edu>
> If viral content is detected in a message from an external sender,
> bouncing (via a SMTP 5xx code) the message is the correct thing to do.

So the system being bounced to has to bear the costs of accepting,
scanning, tagging, and discarding the message anyways?

And suppose one of my users fires off a legitimate e-mail (with malware,
complements of, say, Microsoft OLE) to your server via their malware
scanning free ISP server (many of these). Your system then bounces the
message back to my server which then bounces the message into the
bitbucket due to malware content. Where is the user notified that their
legitimate message got discarded in this case?