[Mimedefang] Best free antivirus

Sevo Stille sevo at radiox.de
Wed Sep 24 09:37:01 EDT 2003

Håkon Nilsen (Exinet AS) wrote:

> ... If you get an .exe file on mail, it might be something you
> want!

At least for us: No. Our corporate policy strictly forbids sending or
receiving executables by mail. Indeed, we now even forbid sending and
receiving DOC files, given that we found a constant stream of accidental
malware (i.e. not even Word viruses, but bona fide macros that make our
staff request administrator help) on them.

If our employees have to send a "bad filename" file, they may put it on
the server and mail a link, and we expect the same from our
correspondents, and have educated the latter to mail their press
releases as PDF, HTML or plain text - if they don't, we won't cover
their story, period.

> But if you pay for it, you can get guarantees. If you're attacked, while you
> should have been blocked for this - wouldn't you pick up the phone and call
> the ones that supplies your virus killer, and demand that they correct
> it/pay up? I sure know that's how I, or at least my bosses, would feel.

Before you do that, make sure you've read the licence! I am not aware of
any virus scanner vendor who doesn't exclude all consequential damages -
the very best you could hope for would be a refund on the scanner
software price...

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille