[Mimedefang] Best free antivirus

Kenneth Irving ken at fq.edu.uy
Tue Sep 23 10:05:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Håkon Nilsen (Exinet AS) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wouldn't rely on free antivirus to be honest. There are new viruses every
> day, and only the big companys can supply you with the latest virus
> definitions.

This is absolutely not true! It is absolutely impossible for any company
(big or small) to learn about the existance of any new virus *before* the
virus hits internet. That is absolutely necessary if you want to have
virus definitions available in time (and I can only imagine one
possiblility for that to happen).

> Of course - if there is a free alternative that's good enough, I think we're
> all interested to know who they are...

Clamav is good enough. It's available for *any* unix like operating
system. It's fast and light. And the community support has improved
considerably during the last year (in fact, for some viruses their
signature was available even before some comercial antivirus).

It's absolutely impossible for any antivirus software to detect 100% of
viruses. That's where MIMEDefang does it's job. At least the antivirus
software lets you know why an attachment was removed. That's all.

best reagrds
		Kenneth