[Mimedefang] Interesting anti-HTML filter side-effect

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Mon Sep 22 15:10:01 EDT 2003

Daniel Kasak wrote:
> I've already tried imposing more 'enlightened' ideas like replying
> below someone's text instead of above. I was basically told that if
> that's how nerds want to behave amongst themselves, then find they
> can do that - but as far as business correspondance is concerned, the
> reply must go at the top where everyone expects it, otherwise people
> will reply with a dumbfounded " ... I got your email, but you didn't
> type anything - all I could see was my original email .."

The reason this happens is that an awful lot of people who should really
know better don't snip out the irrelevant sections of the message
they're replying to, or write the *whole* reply at the end of the 2-page
message- without interlacing their responses with the original message
where it can be seen even on a 640x480 screen.

I've seen far too many mailing list posts with the *ENTIRE* original
message - including 3 layers of previous messages - along with the
multiple sets of list footers - quoted, and then a 5-paragraph reply,
which addresses 5 more-or-less independent points scattered through the
10-paragraph message being responded to.  :/

Ugh.  Let's enlighten our own before attempting to bring light to the
heathen masses.  <g>

-kgd
apartment it is.