[Mimedefang] Interesting anti-HTML filter side-effect

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Sep 22 11:17:01 EDT 2003

--On Monday, September 22, 2003 10:54 AM +1000 Daniel Kasak
<dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au> wrote:

> Ha! Good luck. If I bounced all HTML email, we would receive absolutely
> no mail, and I'd get fired soon after I explained why.

Another approach is to impose a delay penalty on HTML, with the argument
that it takes much more resources and it's much more error prone to
determine if HTML is legitimate and not spam. Run all HTML through a 20
minute queue, but pass plain text instantly.

Or maybe run separate filter processes for HTML, niced down a lot. On a
heavily-loaded server, plain text goes to the front of the line.