[Mimedefang] Interesting anti-HTML filter side-effect

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Sun Sep 21 20:58:01 EDT 2003

David F. Skoll wrote:
<snipped>

>I think if we can convince people that HTML mail is dangerous, we'll
>go a long way to making e-mail usable again, and a long way to limiting
>the creative techniques available to spammers.

Ha! Good luck. If I bounced all HTML email, we would receive absolutely
no mail, and I'd get fired soon after I explained why.

I agree with you on the no-html-email thing in theory, it's just that
it's quite hard to change what 99% of the world do, especially when:

a) they don't realise they're doing it
b) there is a perceived loss if they take our advice

I've already tried imposing more 'enlightened' ideas like replying below
someone's text instead of above. I was basically told that if that's how
nerds want to behave amongst themselves, then find they can do that -
but as far as business correspondance is concerned, the reply must go at
the top where everyone expects it, otherwise people will reply with a
dumbfounded " ... I got your email, but you didn't type anything - all I
could see was my original email .."

The wise few are cursed to swim in the sea of idiots...

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
email: dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au