[Mimedefang] Re: Great open letter about anti-virus, emails, bounces, etc.

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Sep 16 18:04:00 EDT 2003

> I understand why people do this (BTW there are RBLs of
> dynamic ranges so
> you can let someone else do the work for you and just use
> mimedefang to
> check the RBL) but it drives me nuts, because I run my
> personal domain off
> of my [dynamic] DSL line.  People can accept mail from whomever they

Well, I'd be running my domain of my connection if the AUP didn't prohibit
it, but I do send mail from a number of (legitimate) accounts that I have
through my local mail server.

> choose, of course, but I am confident that *MY* mail server
> is as good if
> not better configured than the average ISP's.  If I send all my mail
> through the ISP's mail server, then I have to deal with their
> brain-dead
> configs, dropping mail, carnivore ;) etc. etc.

ISP mail server reliability was another factor.  I ended up getting my
housemate to use my mail server instead of the ISP's system, because he was
getting p'd off with the number of errors.  If the error is on the POP side,
it's handled by fetchmail and no one need know.  If it's on the outbound
SMTP side, my system understands MX records, so the problem's neatly
bypassed.

> However as more people decide to block dynamic IPs though I
> suppose I'll
> have to set up a smart relay somewhere....maybe at work.  :)

Join the club (sigh).