[Mimedefang] Re: Great open letter about anti-virus, emails, bounces, etc.

Mitch Mitch at 0Bits.COM
Tue Sep 16 12:59:01 EDT 2003

Hi Richard,

I completely agree with you, and infact am in the same position (with
a useless UK provider with a pathetic ISP mail host) but i can see the
other point of view. The mass of spam email has led to desperate measures
which we must suffer. Hell i've even had my name on blacklists as spammers
have used it in forger headers. You can't really blame those affected taking
drastic measures mentioned. And for sure others (non defangers) will be taking
similar measures (a lot of JaNET has done it too). The only way out is to
find a colleague with a static IP address who is not on any blacklists willing
to relay your mail for you.

My opinion is that blacklisting by host (RBL, etc..) is not a good thing and only
email content based filtering is viable in this day and age. I'd really like
to see whitelisting only email such that no one is allowed to email me unless they
are in my whitelist - after all we don't let anyone thru the front door of our house ?

Cheers
Mitch