[Mimedefang] Re: Great open letter about anti-virus, emails, bounces, etc.

Royce Williams royce.williams at acsalaska.net
Mon Sep 15 18:29:11 EDT 2003

Michael Sims wrote:
> mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote:
>
>>We maintain an extensive "mini-DUL" with reverses for IPs that are
>>known to be dynamically allocated in our sendmail access file.
>>
>>We've had good luck with kicking back a 550 that simply says "Mailing
>>directly from dynamics refused; please use your provider's outgoing
>>mail server to relay."
>

> Sounds like a good idea.  Do you do this based off a substring of the PTR
> record, or are you maintaining a list of IP networks?

A little of both.  *.ipt.aol.com, attbi.com, and anybody with dialup
and/or DSL that conforms to the proposed best practice (don't have the
URL handy) of having PTR records that look like this:

	192-168-31-337.stl.wa.dialups.example.net

instead of:

	192-168-31-337-dialups.stl.wa.example.net

... so that this single sendmail access entry covers them all:

	dialups.example.net		REJECT

We're gearing up to move our dynamics to a similar naming scheme
ourselves.  I really wish that I had the URL handy.  I'll post
it later when I find it, if anybody's interested.

We also block based on IP blocks if they're big enough to bother with
and are demonstrably dynamic.  I do sometimes wish that sendmail
grokked CIDR. :)  We notify the admins of the IPs whenever possible.

I'm sure that the n.a.n-a.e. folks have this down pat, but that's what
we've been doing, but it's a losing battle in a lot of ways .. which is
why we've been so happy with SA + MD + File::Scan + clamd.

Royce