[Mimedefang] fun conclusion

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Sep 12 13:53:01 EDT 2003

I once worked at a DOTcom style startup that eventually tanked... but in
our busy days, I used to be on everyone's mail list being one of the
primary company support people....

I left for a vacation for 4 days and came back to a mailbox typically
filled with 800+ emails.

Spam never bothered me while I worked there since is was a few email in
hundreds...

Once the company went under and I no longer got 200emails a day, my
threshold dropped where I couldn't tolerate a couple of spam's a day...
and now it was growing... I started blacklisting.... I installed
spamassassin... I... I... hehehe...

I have actually had that same thought concerning myself.... I could see
the habit of constantly checking my email so I could flush out the noise
in favor of finding something that wasn't static. Now all I get is
pertinent email... on a less often interval.

In psychology, this is called "sensory adaptation" where our bodies
average out our surroundings to cope. Hahahah... Never thought it would
apply to email. :)

 -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.P, S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that    *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept   *
* of Natural Resources. They are my own. "They" get none of the credit. *

'/usr/games/fortune' says:
The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
		-- Albert Einstein