[Mimedefang] configure in wrong part of RPM spec file

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Tue Sep 9 13:18:01 EDT 2003

> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 00:10, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > I just tried to run just the prep phase of an RPM build so that I could
> > inspect the source tree, using "rpmbuild -tp mimedefang-2.37.tar.gz", and it
> > runs configure after unpacking and patching. IMHO, this should be done in the
> > build phase. Why is it in the prep phase?

Because "prep" in the context of rpm-building means "prepare to execute
make".  For a somewhat more detailed "Why?", ask in linux.redhat.rpm, or
redhat.rpm.general.  <g>

Stephen L Johnson wrote:
> Just install the src rpm like a normal binary rpm, 'rpm -ivh
> mimedefang-2.37.tar.gz'. It will install all of the source into
> /usr/src/<blah>/SOURCES and the .spec file into /usr/src/<blash>/SPECS
> directory.

Er...  You can't rpm -ivh a tarball, last time I checked.  You would
rpm -ivh mimedefang-2.37-1.src.rpm, which would drop the tarball in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES by default;  and drop the .spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS.

> The directory <blah> varies depends on the distribution. redhat =
> redhat, SuSE = packages are the two I know. Just rumage around /usr/src/
> and look for a directory with BUILD, RPMS, SRPMS, SOURCES, and SPECS
> directories. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Ah.  Interesting.  The last time I poked into /usr/src was the last time
I thought about compiling a custom kernel... something like 3 years ago.
<g>

I never build software as root (it should NOT be necessary, and most
definitely isn't for MIMEDefang), so when I do rpm -ivh
<package>.src.rpm,
it drops the tarball and patches in ~/rpm_top/SOURCES.  To get this to
happen, you need a file ~/.rpmmacros, containing at least the following
line:

%_topdir	/home/{username}/rpm_top

-kgd
apartment it is.