[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin running but not scoring

Paul Heinlein heinlein at cse.ogi.edu
Tue Sep 2 14:43:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Karl Boyken wrote:

> I'm running sendmail 8.12.9, MIMEDefang 2.36, and SpamAssassin 2.52
> on HP-UX 11.11.  I'd been running sendmail and SpamAssassin
> originally, without MIMEDefang, using miltrassassin, which worked
> fine.  Since installing MIMEDefang, MIMEDefang works okay, and it's
> calling SpamAssassin, but SpamAssassin is not returning any hits.
> I'm sure that MIMEDefang is actually executing SpamAssassin--I put a
> couple stubs in the SpamAssassin code and got output.  I'm sure that
> all the SpamAssassin stuff is readable and executable by the user
> that MIMEDefang runs under.  Now, if I could just get spam to
> produce a nonzero score, I'd be happy.  I'd appreciate any
> help/suggestions/advice.  Thanks in advance.

Karl,

I also had some trouble initially along these lines. In our case, the
culprit was that DEF_RULES_DIR wasn't getting set properly when
MIMEDefang called Mail::SpamAssassin->new().

So you might want to a) symlink your rules directory into a standard
location or b) code up the moral equivalent of spam_assassin_init()
that invokes Mail::SpamAssassin->new() correctly for you.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at cse.ogi.edu>