[Mimedefang] defang DB

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Sep 1 06:24:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Du Plooy, Ernst wrote:

> A while back I helped a company with a commercial product that used
> a database backend.  They had to purchase MySQL licenses for all
> their clients.  I recon this is one of the reasons why David use
> PostgreSQL for CanIT (although I'm just guessing here).

It's a good guess.  PostgreSQL is BSD-licensed, so it was a big factor
(in fact, the deciding factor.)

Also, I may be biased, but I think PostgreSQL is just a better DB all
around than MySQL.  CanIt does not make all that many queries per message,
so spam analysis (rather than DB performance) is likely to be the bottleneck
on most deployments.

CanIt uses the PostgreSQL native Pg perl module rather than DBD::Pg.  I
wonder if anyone has benchmarked the two client libraries to see if
they have significantly different performance?