[Mimedefang] Embedding Perl in Multiplexor -- good idea?

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Fri Oct 24 04:21:50 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:50:37 -0200 (EDT), scuba at centroin.com.br
wrote:

> Maybe transcripting  mimedefang.pl to "C" ?

But... You'd still nead to load perl, and you'd still need something
that does the perl work of mimedefang.pl. Otherwise, how would you
run everything in mimedefang-filter?

The basic philosophy of MIMEDefang would be forfeit if we don't have
an incredibly flexible filter config that's actually a part of a
program written in an interpreted language.

For exmple, I'm currently trying to implement a "filter_sender" that
will load a blacklist from a text file and rejects based on regexp
matching. Without the flexibly programmable filter config of
MIMEDefang I would not be able to do that.

If MIMEDefang did use a programmable filter, but not in perl or some
other language that is interpreted/compiled at run-time, I could
still do it. I would have to recompile parts of MIMEDefang everytime
I change anything in the filter though. Not fun. And I wouldn't like
having to program the filter rules in C or C++ either. Perl's quite
well suited for this combination of program/config file, C/C++ isn't.

(The "trying" above is because I don't really know perl, so I have to
look stuff up on the web and in perldoc all the time. I do know
programming though, so it'll work eventually.)

Regards
/Jonas
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists at frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/