[Mimedefang] Embedding Perl in Multiplexor -- good idea?

Stefano McGhee SMcGhee at ARCweb.com
Wed Oct 22 16:04:59 EDT 2003

> Good idea?  Pros?  Cons?  Will it make enough of a difference
> seeing as
> we already amortize Perl startup costs over a few hundred messages?
>
> --
> David.

My site is a small site, compared to some I've seen on this list.  We so
about 80,000 messages a month.  I would imagine though that slaves are
restarted (due to aging out or doing the maximum number of messages
specified) more often then the filter is changed.  I changed it a lot in
the beginning of my implementation, but now it's only every so often.  I
would think that paying the penalty on a multiplexor restart would be far
less often then on every time a new slave is forked, especially on reliable
servers.

Your suggestion seems to be more scaleable to me, but I anticipate a flood
of more qualified answers to follow.

Cheers,

Stefano