[Mimedefang] Spammers who won't take no for an answer

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Oct 21 09:19:45 EDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Michael Sofka wrote:

> Or an old package.  Where is the advantage of checking error codes
> to a spammer?

Well, if you don't, then you'll end up sending hundreds of copies of
the same message to systems where each attempt succeeds.  While a
spammer might not care about that, I think flodding victims with
hundreds of identical messages would make it much more likely that
they'd act to find and prosecute the spammer.

I believe the software does check for success or failure, but doesn't
distinguish between 4xx and 5xx and just retries anyway.