[Mimedefang] Rewarding plaintext

David Meissner DavidM at instantservice.com
Fri Oct 17 12:18:05 EDT 2003

> > > The dubious benefits of HTML (formatted e-mail, colors, images,
> > > etc.) are simply not worth the cost (a terrific vehicle for spammers
> > > to evade content scanning.)
>
> > This may be true in some places but it is coincidental. Exactly the
> > same things that make email useful in general make it useful for spam.
>
> Yes, but the things that make it easy for spammers to evade
> content-scanning do not (IMO) add much utility to e-mail.

This HTML vs. text debate is interesting, and I can definitely see both
sides. I'm reminded that in the really old days (14 years or so ago), I
didn't see the point of using color monitors in a business setting - word
processors and spreadsheets worked just fine in grayscale.

I don't use HTML mail personally, I don't like receiving it, and I see the
anti-spam value of blocking it. On the other hand, forcing everyone to use
plain text forever will restrict future innovation. And, spammers will
probably adapt to HTML blocking as they have to other detection methods, so
the benefits may not last too long.

-David Meissner