[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 2 18:01:02 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 15:28, Cor Bosman wrote:
> > In New Jersey/Pennsylvania (US) unless the roads owner cedes 'rulership'
> > to the state, then the state was found not able to regulate what
> > happened on those roads. However, it was found that the owner of the
> > road could be held liable for any accidents, criminal activity,
> > pollution then that occured on the owners roads as they would the
> > regulatory body. So from that point of view.. since govt do not own the
> > internet (per se), the ISP's would be again the liable parties.
>
> If I drive over that road perfectly normal, stop at every traffic
> right, let the eldery cross the street. Stop in front of your house.
> Open the door you did not lock and shoot you in the head. Surely the
> owner of the road is not liable for murder :) Please tell me this isnt
> so, even in the US.

You therefore got out of the car and went and shot me. Even if you shot
me from the road, the crime would have occured inside my house and
therefor the owner of the road might not be liable.

If I shot you from one car to the other, there is case law from old
English common law on that the owner was liable for at least civil
damages because it occured on his property. [The case would be that a
laird of the castle is responsible for the guests on his property.]

Again I am not a lawyer, and am remembering a bunch of articles and news
from over a decade ago...

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645