[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 2 17:29:00 EDT 2003

> In New Jersey/Pennsylvania (US) unless the roads owner cedes 'rulership'
> to the state, then the state was found not able to regulate what
> happened on those roads. However, it was found that the owner of the
> road could be held liable for any accidents, criminal activity,
> pollution then that occured on the owners roads as they would the
> regulatory body. So from that point of view.. since govt do not own the
> internet (per se), the ISP's would be again the liable parties.

If I drive over that road perfectly normal, stop at every traffic
right, let the eldery cross the street. Stop in front of your house.
Open the door you did not lock and shoot you in the head. Surely the
owner of the road is not liable for murder :) Please tell me this isnt
so, even in the US.

The internet can not be compared to anything. It doesnt have 4 wheels.
It doesnt drive over a road. It doesnt fly through the air.

The problems that are most visible right now (virusses and spam) need to
be addressed at all levels. You can not point at any one party and say
it's YOUR fault. All parties have a responsibility and are part of the
problem and must be part of the solution.

ISPs have sofar, imho, done quite a bit to limit the problem. I would
even say that they're the _only_ ones that have done a fair share
(ok, some local government are finally creating strict laws).
Only recently has Microsoft stepped up and promised to increase
security on their systems. We havent been able to rely on the end user who
seems completely unwilling to accept any kind of responsibility and
unfortunately I dont see any major change in this.

Why arent there any classes that deal with internet behavior? Or TV
commercials about updating your virus engines. They're there to buckle
your seatbelt, or have safe sex.

This is a problem that will need everyone's involvement,

Cor