[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Keith Dowell keith at rogersmfg.com
Thu Oct 2 17:46:01 EDT 2003

Wasn't really asking for the users to become system administrators. Just as
the average user doesn't have a clue what to do other than maybe check the
oil when they raise the hood on their car. To me, adding virus protection
and checking microsoft for patches once a month is the equivalent of this
(normal routine maintenance). Of which, the user should be held ultimately
responsible. It's not that complicated to change a tire. It's not that
complicated to install virus protection and accept defaults. Those who can't
change a tire call a friend or a mechanic. Those who can't figure out how to
click the "next" button should call a friend or a computer consultant. All
cost of ownership.

I'm not asking for them to be programmers, or even understand what really
goes on "under the hood" so to speak. Just to know that they can't just take
home a computer and irresponsibly hook it up to a 24x7 connection with no
protection, when they KNOW they don't know what they're doing. They should
call a friend or a consultant or go take a class to learn about the basics.
Computer on 24x7=open to attack. Solutions=install pre-made in the box
plug-and play firewall, or virus protection with all the defaults.

Now I know the government doesn't own the net, and lord knows I don't want
them near it. But as they provide licenses for cars... do they ever test you
on when to check your oil? When to fill up the tank with gas? Where to fill
up your radiator?

Again, adding virus protection should be something everyone with a computer
should know about. Now maybe I can go along with manufacturers slipping in a
nice vid about "please update from microsoft and install virus protection if
you don't have it".

Seriously, think about it. If we were talking about an average user, and
asking should they be responsible for their Linux Box being rooted and
someone sending 10 million spam mails... I think most would say the user
would be responsible because they shouldn't have been trying to run an
operating system like that without first knowing what they were doing, or
without having it set up by a professional... that it isn't a "user
friendly" operating system and not meant for people new to computers.

Computers ARE complicated pieces of equipment, but should be used more
responsibly. You can't put it on every sys admin of every ISP to become big
brother and protect everyone from themselves. You can't put it on microsoft
to send a person to everyone's door once a month and update their machine.