[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

David Meissner DavidM at instantservice.com
Thu Oct 2 16:41:01 EDT 2003

> The more I think about it though, the more I think that the
> USER is ultimately responsible for maintaining their PC
> (automobile).

There is one problem with this analogy. The fact is that computers are
impossibly difficult to use. I know it doesn't seem that way to us, the
technically sophisticated users, but I believe that current computers are
impossible for a normal person to operate and administer, beyond the basic
function of producing a document.

Automobiles are relatively simple to use, because among other things the
operation of an automobile is pretty well standardized. Plus, we require
people to be trained in how to use a car. New cars come with a service book
that spells out exactly what service is required and when, and if someone
takes the car in for service on schedule, the car will most likely operate
properly.

And finally, the world is not overrun with evil mechanics determined to
damage the operation of the automobile for no reason other than their
personal enjoyment.

We could say that no one is allowed to own a computer without receiving the
appropriate level of training, and require all consumers to become competent
system administrators so they could maintain their own machines, but then
the tech industry would disappear along with our careers.

I just don't think blame is that easy to assign. The computer of the future
has to be a much different device than what we use today, and protocols have
to evolve to take into account the hostile world. We just have to hang on
until we can get from here to there.

-David Meissner