[Mimedefang] [Off-Topic] Graphical environment for servers (wasRe: [Mimedefang] Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm)

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Sat May 31 03:19:01 EDT 2003

<prosletyzing mode on>
My ideas on the various linux's.
Redhat:easy to administer, widelly supported. Installs lots of junk.Stable.
Redhat9 detects everything I threw at it.
Debian:Harder to setup, easier to manger day to day, most stable.
They are uber-conservative about introducing new features.
Mandrake:Easiest for normals(non-nerd users) to setup. Buggier then redhat,
Nicer gui then redhat.
Gentoo:Takes long time to compile from source. Too bleeding edge. Distro
is too new to use in production imo.
Speed doesn't matter; reliability matters more.
No matter how fast it is, If I get beepered at 6:00AM because of a crash;
I'm going to find something more reliable.
Freebsd:Supports lots of hardware. I am an idiot about freebsd.
</prosletyzing mode off>

On our campus we have 2 major linux's:Redhat,Suse.
I take care of mabe 100 redhat machines, and my buddy takes care 150 suse
machines. Suse has nicer config tools.
--Luke

My wife actually was