[Mimedefang] uvscan virus scan failing

Todd Aiken taiken at ubishops.ca
Tue May 20 13:55:00 EDT 2003

Greetings.  I am running Mimedefang 2.33 and Spamassassin 2.54, along with
the latest version of Mcafee's uvscan.  As of yesterday morning, the
system started tempfailing all incoming mail due to a problem with the
virus scanner.  In my log files, I see that the scanner is failing with
code=8, which according to the uvscan man page, means that "The program
could not find a DAT file."  However, I can cd to /usr/local/uvscan and
see that all of the DAT files are there, and running uvscan to scan files
produces no problems (an "echo $?" command also returns a zero).  But,
oddly enough, when I rollback the DAT files to an earlier version,
Mimedefang is happy... it just does not like the latest DAT files version
4265.  Just wondering if anybody else is having this same problem?
Nothing else on my mail server was touched since this started happening.

Thanks.

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken
Systems Analyst - Administrator