[Mimedefang] Notifying virus recipients

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Fri May 16 03:10:02 EDT 2003

On 5/16/03 3:34 PM, "Steffen Kaiser"
...snip...

> a) (posted here in the list) so many viruses use faked mail addresses,
> think about notifying a dear colleague or some reputable person about such
> virus and the argumentation about which mail and what attachment and that
> this was no mistake by him/her, but yours ... .

not to mention that if your mail server is trying to send email
notifications to non-existant email addresses (also used by viruses as the
sender) that your mail server will waste resources in attempting to send the
mail, having it fail, queueing it to try again (lather, rinse, repeat)

if you get enough of these types of viruses, it could get pretty messy.

at my offices, all postmaster mail has to be forwarded to an actual user
(policy) ... that user is me. i got really tired of having masses of "mail
could not be sent" return messages from the mail server because of trying to
send to invalid email addresses. (we were sending notifications to senders
of certain file types included in the mail.  that has now since stopped)

> b) if the recipient is notified, s/he can re-request the attachment, in
> the cases that they know the sender and awaited something (which is rather
> rare in my experience).
>
> c) to notify in-house senders is OK. :-)

I would have to agree with b) and c) above.

alan