[Mimedefang] SMTP error return after DATA?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri May 9 14:59:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Michael Sims wrote:

> I have seen these before but was unsure of the best way to utilize them.  Is
> there anyone on the list using these options, and if so what settings are
> working for you guys?

I use ConnectionRateThrottle (set to 3).  Most of the other parameters
probably cause more trouble than they solve.  For example, DelayLA is
bad because it keeps your Sendmail processes around _longer_ under
conditions of high load.  Also, "Load Average" is pretty meaningless.
Depending on exactly what's happening, a machine with a load average
of 10 can hum along very nicely, while one with a load average of 2 is
struggling.

I think the best strategy is to have your primary MX host stop accepting
connections when load starts getting too high, and have a secondary host
that almost never rejects connections.  The secondary host can accept
mail in deferred mode and a small number of queue runners can pass
it on to the primary at a manageable rate.