[Mimedefang] SMTP error return after DATA?

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri May 9 14:42:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Nels Lindquist <nlindq at maei.ca>:

> On 9 May 2003 at 10:44, Michael Sims wrote:
>
> > but disappeared.  But MIMEDefang still has to process the message in the
> spool
> > even without SA, so this lead me to believe that the speed of the spooling
>
> > process wasn't the major factor.
>
> Whatever the case, there's a complex interaction of all the different
> subsystems which contributes to performance problems like you're
> seeing.  We were experiencing exactly the same symptoms you describe,
> and it was because the system was starved for memory.

That's true...I'm still a bit inexperienced when it comes to tracing these
sorts of performance problems, so I didn't think of running vmstat during one
of the storms.  I did look at the output of free and don't recall that I was
heavy into swap but I'll definitely take a second look with vmstat.

And my dedicated MD machine (which after talking to the list will end up being
my public MX) will definitely be using TMPFS.

> o A stalled SA process waiting for DNS results etc. consumes just as
> much memory as one that is actively running a regexp.

I'm only running the local tests right now.  I want to get that stabilized
first before I introduce another variable.

> o Sendmail has some built-in functionality which can smooth out spam
> storms.  Have a look at some of the cf options like confDELAY_LA and
> confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE.

I have seen these before but was unsure of the best way to utilize them.  Is
there anyone on the list using these options, and if so what settings are
working for you guys?

Thanks for the feedback, this was very helpful...